I'm Brian Kihoon Lee (한글: 이기훈; 漢字: 李基薰).
I want to understand the world, in the broadest possible sense. I enjoy thinking about math, physical sciences, computer science, economics, dynamical systems, but also about classical music, aesthetics, and philosophy. I write.
I'm currently a senior research engineer at Google Brain.
Stuff I've worked on
- (2019) I'm TL of a chemistry and machine learning research team investigating olfactory percption [Press].
- (2018) I helped launch AutoGraph, a Python to TensorFlow compiler featured in TensorFlow 2. As a byproduct of my pre-alpha experience with AutoGraph / TensorFlow 2, I wrote Effective TF 2 and the official tf.function guide.
- (2017) I co-created (with Andrew Jackson) MiniGo (a replication of AlphaGoZero) based on work I'd done in MuGo.
- (2016) I created MuGo, a partial replication of AlphaGo, as a starter project in machine learning.
- (2013) I mastered/dropped out of Harvard's Chemistry & Chemical Biology department.
- (2012) I started the Collegiate Go League, a competitive league for college Go clubs.
- (2012) I created ChemWOOT, an online training program to prepare students for the USNCO and IChO, in conjunction with Art of Problem Solving Inc.
- (2011) I graduated from MIT with a degree in Chemistry.
- (2010-12) I mentored students at the USNCO Study Camp in 2010-2012
- (2007) I won a silver medal at the 2007 IChO in Moscow, Russia.
- (2005-07) I was math team captain at Bergen County Academies and competed twice in the USAMO.